Deciding on a UK definitive list of product categories/taxons

We need to come up with a list of product categories that will suit all UK users (producers, suppliers, hubs, co-ops, shops, farmers’ markets, etc). Please add your thoughts to the discussion below.

This is the current list of categories:

FRUIT & VEG
VEGETABLES
MUSHROOMS
FRUIT
BREAD & BAKING
SNACKS, SWEETS & SAVOURIES
DAIRY
CHEESE
EGGS
MEAT
FISH
TOFU
DRY GOODS
GRAINS & PULSES
FLOUR
TINNED GOODS
NUTS, SEEDS & DRIED FRUIT
PASTA
SEASONINGS & CONDIMENTS
OILS & VINEGARS
JAMS, PRESERVES & SPREADS
DRINKS
TEA & COFFEE
JUICES & SOFT DRINKS
ALCOHOLIC DRINKS
NON-FOOD ITEMS
HEALTH PRODUCTS
NEW NODE
PLANTS

Here are some of the suggestions we have have had so far:

This email from Oliver:

I felt that for Stroudco I wanted fewer categories. I think there were 25-ish. But I can see that this needs to be an OFN UK co-ordinated decision. Still, I’ll share my view on it.

I’d keep “fruit and veg” and remove the separate categories for “fruit” and “vegetables”. I’d also include “mushrooms” in this and remove it as a separate categories.
“Pasta”, “flour”, “nuts, seeds and dried fruit” and “grains and pulses” I would remove and use “Dry Goods” for these.
It may make sense to have “tea/coffee”, “juices/soft drinks” and “alcoholic drinks” separately but then do we need the generic “drinks” category?
Personally I’d create an “other food items” category to encompass “oil/vinegar”, “seasoning/condiments” and anything else that doesn’t fit into one of the others.
I even think “cheese” could come under “dairy” even though it’s not always made from dairy milk.

Maybe a “special offers” category would be good?

I hope I’m not offending anyone who may have spent time on putting the collection of categories together with much care. It’s just my personal view that there are too many.

Best wishes to all
Oliver

@sara at Tamar emailed:
Our current Food hub categories are:

Beverages
Cakes, biscuits & breads
Cheese
Christmas goods
Confectionery
Delicatessen
Eggs
Fish
Fruit & veg
Household & toiletry
Ice cream & deserts
Jams, pickles & preserves
Meat
Milk, butter & other dairy
Other produce
Plants & flowers
Savoury pasties & pies

I’ve been re-assigning these whilst loading products onto OFN, I have no strong views but would prefer as few categories as possible.

I would like to confirm our UK list asap so that Stroudco can get on with rationalising product categories and we don’t end up with new users having to re-categorise products.

Does anyone have any changes/additions to Oliver’s proposal above?

When we have decided on the final list of categories is there any clever ways of dealing with products which have previously been assigned to a category which will be disappearing? Can we list the products which are going to lose a category and need re-categorising?

Thanks all
Nick

I would like to try to resolve this before I go away on the 17th. So here is a proposal that I will also email around as I know that some of you are not able to get into UK discourse yet:

Make the following main categories rather than subcategories within “Drinks”
“tea/coffee”
“juices/soft drinks”
“alcoholic drinks”

Remove:
“drinks”
“fruit”
“vegetables”
“mushrooms”
“Pasta”
“flour”
“nuts”
“seeds and dried fruit”
“grains and pulses”
“oil/vinegar”
“seasoning/condiments”
“cheese”

Create the following new categories
“other food items”
“special offers”

I can do this work on categories on Thursday but I am not sure if this will give Sara, Oliver and Ludwig time to reclassify all their products before I remove the categories. So I will ask Mags if she is willing to make these changes in superadmin when she has had the go ahead from Sara, Oliver and Ludwig.

Taxons have now been updated based on the above list of changes.

@Mags would you take a look and confirm.

Hi @Nick
I’ve been reading a few of these threads on product categories because we’re having a couple of issues with defining some products.
One category that seems to be missing is ‘confectionery’ (even though it’s mentioned above?). We have a producer who makes chocolate bars and they weren’t sure what category they would go in.
I also don’t really understand the ‘products’ category - it seems a bit vague?
Thanks,
Alice

Hi @aliceguillaume. At Stroudco we put chocolate in ‘Tasty treats’. Would this work for you?

‘Products’ is the name of the group of categories. This word doesn’t come up when a producer is entering a new product image

Aaah ok that makes sense!

Yes, I did see that tasty treats was an option, but I was a bit confused that it was paired with ‘savouries’ so I wasn’t really sure what defined that category? However, you’re right it’s probably the closest category to go with. I personally would prefer if the sweet treats and savoury snacks/treats etc were in separate categories but also understand the desire not to have too many