New Properties for Products

Currently we only have six ‘properties’ for products and producers, which are;

• Certified organic

• Certified Biodynamic

• Certified Fair Trade

• Produced within 15 miles

• Gluten Free

• Special Offer

Without cluttering it up too much, are there other properties enterprises would like to be able to label their products? For example, we’ve had one hub request an Organic (non-certified) label so you can highlight products grown in an organic way by smaller producers who can’t afford accreditation.

1 Like

My only suggestion here would be perhaps looking at what Aus have done and split out and what we could possible include - for instance I’d say eprhaps we’re missing Free Range / Grassfed, which are becoming quite “popular” producing methods here, maybe we should be accommodating for those?

Hi
West Midlands Country Markets would really welcome the extra product property of ‘organic (non-certified)’.
Would it be possible to have a ‘special dietary requirements’ property? Or would this be more apt as a product category?
Many thanks
Louise

Hi Louise,
I think adding a property of ‘special dietary requirements’ is a good idea. I think it would be more effective if we started to explore the properties individually. ‘Vegan’, ‘Nut Free’ etc.

Unfortunately, Organic (non-certified) is not a category we can include as it would be a violation of Organic labelling rules.

In fact, it is a tricky thing to add a label for and we need to be clear that this is a self-declaration from the Hub/Producer.

@SineadOFNSupport @louisew @Ewan-Support @Nick @olivermuller @SaraR @Locavore or anyone else have any ideas on the best wording for this?

Stroudco producers include words like this in their product descriptions; “grown without the use of artificial fertilisers, pesticides or herbicides” but that is far too long for a property!

We already have a gluten-free property. I like the idea of ‘nut-free’, ‘vegan’, etc

Hi @Nick and everyone. The addition of a product property ‘special dietary requirements’ would be very favourable for West Midlands Country Markets. This would encompass gluten free, diary free, vegetarian, vegan, diabetic cakes etc etc and might be easier/less cumbersome than adding all of these categories separately?

1 Like

Hi @louisew we have now added the additional following properties:

• Gluten-free

• Nut-free

• Dairy-free

• Vegetarian

• Vegan

• Special dietary requirements

So shopfronts can chose (see screenshot below) either to use just the ‘special dietary requirements’ filter or each of the individual ones.
I hope this helps.
Best wishes
Nick

1 Like

Can we please add the “Organic (non-certified)” property? Another possible one would be “Chemical-free”, but I’d prefer the former. Thanks.

Thanks for reopening this debate @rachel.
It would be great to be clear about what we are talking about here.
Organic (non-certified) is obviously a different thing to Chemical-free - chemical-free could include inputs that are not organic, like waste food streams for livestock or non-certified seed without derogation.
Organic (non-certified) is potentially a confusing term for people with different levels of knowledge around organic standards.

We certainly encourage producers to add detail about their production methods such that people can make decisions when they order. But adding a label to capture this is easier said than done.

Could we say ‘Agroecological Practices’?

The important thing for me would be visible labels in the shop front, so that an organic product has an organic label next to it.

Well, all I’m trying to do is make it easier for our customers to find us and buy from us.

They, like me, are just people who want to buy organic, local fruit and veg. I doubt any of us know the first thing about what all these terms mean other than that “organic” means you don’t have nasty chemicals on your food.

I was told we couldn’t just say “organic” because it had to be certified at a cost that well exceeds what Taybank Growers can afford. I think that’s really sad. But I get that you want to be sure something really is organic, so for me, it makes sense to say “organic (non-certified)” and be done with it.

Frankly, I won’t use terms like “agroecological practices” because few, if any, of our customers would understand what that means.

@rachel Would you be happy for an Organic (non-certified) producer of eggs to be feeding GM grain to their hens? All but organic feed will have GM soya in. But the producer could be growing within chemicals on their own land.

As a person who has worked in food production for many years, including organic farms, I find this confusing. Perhaps it is just me?

1 Like

I know many people who raise chickens and none of them say their eggs are “organic” if they’re feeding GM grain – they say they’re “free range”. But my concern isn’t chickens, it’s vegetables. And as I say, most people think “organic” means you don’t use pesticides and other nasty chemicals and are simply looking for veg that does that. Without being able to say “organic (non-certified)”, how exactly are they to know that these vegetables are any different to the ones they’re buying from the conventional farmers all up and down our area?

Hi, would it be possible to add two more properties for our products we sell at Y Pantri Glas in Wales, please

Grown in the UK
and
Grown in Wales

Thank you, Candace