Tagging: only customers?

Hi All,

Thank you for your help so far.

I am wondering whether a tag could be used for a producer to indicate products to go to specific order cycles or whether it is possible to have multiple inventories within one enterprise.

To make better sense of my questions, the puzzle we are working on is as follows: within one enterprise we have 4 order cycles. These order cycles refer to 4 separate markets whose shopfronts will display both items unique to the particular order cycle/market and items shared across order cycles/markets.

When considering the logistics of the producer selling through the enterprise on multiple order cycles at once, is it possible for the producer to indicate though OFN in some way to the enterprise manager which products are intended for which OC (for example in the instance where 4 loaves of bread are intended for OC #1 and 2 loaves are intended for OC #2)?

All comments and suggestions are much appreciated!

Molly

Hi Molly,

Just to make sure I have this one clear in my head…

You have a range of OCs that have products for different combinations of producers. You have set this up successfully?

For a producer that wishes to sell through multiple OCs they actually want to be specific about how many of each product they sell to which OC. For example they make bread, say 8 loaves a week. But they want to make sure that OC1 can sell 4 loaves, OC2 2 loaves and OC3 2 loaves. The producer is not happy just selling 8 loaves on a first come first serve basis?

If I understand correctly you have quite a specific request. The only real work around will be to create a different enterprise for every Market so that each has it’s own inventory.

Otherwise it is perhaps just possible to have the producer set their product limit of 8 loaves and allow them to be sold on a first come first serve basis?

Perhaps @SaraR might have some other thoughts on this?

Hiya,

It is a complicated one but you’ve got it.

Just to clarify, tagging is only for differentiating different customers’ experience of your shopfront and not applicable in this instance?

The logic for grouping the markets is because they are all operating under the same organisation “Country Markets West Midlands” and the customer could see it all in one place.

However, separate enterprises linked by a group definitely has its advantages…

Best,
Molly

Yeah tagging is currently only done on customers. Though there are plans to extend tagging, this is not a likely direction we will go in.

I can’t quite see how tagging would help in this instance in any case… tagging product to order cycle would require an additional step of qty, which, like you say is an inventory. While multiple inventories tagged to order cycles is theoretically possible, it will be expensive to implement and complicated to understand.

You nailed it that this is a great example of groups functionality :slight_smile: I think that best fits such that different markets can store their unique inventories.

If you really think multiple inventories is the best option then we could most certainly discuss further with the international community.

One work around I use is to have different variants of a product in different Order Cycles. E.g. Strawberries 250g and jam strawberries 1kg in our retail shop then 2nd grade strawberries 1kg in our wholesales shop, different quantities available, prices, mark ups, order cycles.

So you could have Bread for X Market - 4, Bread for Y Market - 2, Bread for Z Market - 2. Then select those variants to be in the Order Cycles for those markets. Would this work for you?

1 Like

Oooh good one Sara, thanks! So creating a different variant for each qty instead, then adding different variants to different order cycles.

I guess the only thing is that this way a producer gets 4 different orders. But then if they are supposed to supply to 4 different locations, that’s probably unavoidable.